Special Gift Offer

What Should I Do With Used Potting Mix?

By: Jennifer HowellJennifer Howell
At the end of the growing season, a potting mix’s fertility is at a minimum, so it won’t be great for next year’s plants. And topping off old mix with new means that the roots have a tough time trying to spread. So how do you revive your soil without having to start completely over each year? We'll teach you how.

Reusing last year's potting mix for this year's container garden is certainly an economical idea. However, at the end of the growing season, a potting mix’s fertility is at a minimum, and there might not be enough nutrients for your flowers to be happy and healthy. Adding new mix to the old means this season's plants will get what they need. Here are some tips to help you be resourceful with used potting mix and still grow a great container garden.

Save potting mix the right way

In fall, pull up any dead plants and shake out the roots. If you see live adults, cocoons or egg masses trying to overwinter in the mix, pick them out. If the plants in the container had a disease, that mix should be bagged up and sent out with the trash. (Don’t re-use potting mixes used to grow tomatoes because there is a risk of spreading blight to a new crop.) Keep the rest of the soil tucked away in a garage, basement or shed for the winter.

You Might Also Like:
How to Save Container Plants Over Winter
Best Foliage Plants for Containers
Which Hanging Basket Liner is Best for You?
3 Tips for Planting Annuals

Reuse potting mix in spring

In the spring, break apart the clump of potting mix in the tub or spread it out on a tarp. Add fresh potting mix so the ratio is 50 percent old to 50 percent new, and stir together along with a slow-release fertilizer. Or add 25 percent compost to 75 percent old potting mix with a couple handfuls of organic additive like fish meal or worm castings. Be sure to mix it all thoroughly so the textures are evened out. Then pot up your containers as usual!

Don't just top off

You might be tempted to pour new mix overtop the old and call it good. Yes, plant roots will grow easily in new potting mix, but they will struggle to spread out into hard, dry, compacted old mix beneath. Be sure to break up the old material and blend thoroughly with the new. Look to the illustration below. See what what a difference it makes?


Published: April 17, 2018

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work in the garden. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.

GDT_PW Plant Giveaway_300x250_022024

Related Tags

container gardening potting mix

Also in This Newsletter

Garden Gate

Last Week’s Newsletter

April 10, 2018

Fragrant tree peonies

Love tree peony for its big, beautiful blooms? These varieties also have fabulously fragrant flowers!