Is It Too Late To Plant Tulips This Year?
Have you noticed that deals about tulips have been appearing? Because of this, many homeowners assume that the best time to plant tulips is during this time. This isn’t always the case.
Many people love seeing tulips. These bright colored flowers indicate the arrival of spring, and a lot of people always anticipate and look forward to seeing them in bloom.
The problem is that planting your bulbs during this time won’t really work because they are no longer viable. The ground during this time, spring is also already cold and wet. Your tulips won’t be able to establish a root system if you choose to plant them now.
Generally, the best time to plant your tulips is from September to October. This is the best time to plant tulips because the ground has a good warm temperature to help roots grow and become healthy. You should have purchased the bulbs you will be planting during the end of August or when September starts.
Tulip bulbs are planted during autumn, just before the ground begins to freeze. If you plant them during this time, you should expect their flowers to bloom by the start of spring.
There are ways and tips on how you can properly plant your tulips so that you are sure to see them bloom. Below are some tips on how you can make sure that your tulips grow up to be beautiful plants.
- When digging the soil where you can plant your tulips, make sure that you dig in a whole area and not separate holes for your tulips. This will work better so that the tulips will have space to establish their root system.
- The depth of your area should be not less than thrice the height of a tulip.
- For large bulbs, dig soil that is an entire area, and dig small mounds for the smaller tulips. This is to make sure that you plant your tulip bulbs at just the right depth.
- When planting your bulbs, make sure that the wider end is facing downwards while the tapered end is facing up. Planting the tulip bulb sideways can work as well.
- When arranging your bulbs for planting, make sure you don’t plant them in straight rows. You can just scatter them around the area so that the flowers will look more natural when they’ve finally grown.
- Plant your bulbs in an area that gets plenty of suns. This is so that they can bloom first. Adding in mulch can also be a good idea.
- Water your tulip bulbs regularly.
- In order to keep away mice, moles, and other rodents from your tulips, you can add in thorny leaves in your homes. You can also add in kitty litter as well. For more notorious rodents, you can use wire cages. Use chicken wire and place them over the bulbs. Cover this with mulch and remove the wire when spring arrives or when you can see the tulip beginning to grow.