In issue 108, we shared instructions for making your own copper patio torches. They’re sleek and cost much less than buying a ready-made set. Just look ahead for simple step-by-step photos to help you as you build!
At your local hardware store, pick up the items in the materials list below along with a medium-grit abrasive pad and a pipe cutter. An inexpensive pipe cutter will slice pieces to the right size, but be sure it can cut through pipe more than 1 inch in diameter.
The pipe (mounting post), air chamber (oil reservoir), reducers (base/cap) and bushing(wick holder) are shown here.
- 5 ft. of ½-in. pipe (mounting post)
- 2 1-in. to ½-in. reducers (base/cap)
- ½ in. × 14 in. air chamber (oil reservoir)
- ½ in. × 3⁄8 in. bushing (wick holder)
- Replacement torch wicks
- Water-based polyurethane spray
- Patio torch oil