This time of year, we’re all looking for plants that can take the heat in stride. But ultimately, gardeners aren’t just looking for plants that can take hot temperatures; they also want plants with improved flexibility to move from season to season — from spring’s cool weather into summer’s heat (and summer’s heat into autumn’s cool), and still bloom well. Ball FloraPlant has been breeding a series of plants to do just this. Here are a few of the results:
- Bloomify™ lantana Lantana camara — New in 2018. Sterile, so won’t set seed and go out of bloom.
- Bondi™ scaevola Scaevola aemula — Thrives in hot, dry conditions.
- EnduraScape™ verbena Verbena peruviana — Reblooms in both hot and cold temperatures.
- Lucky™ lantana Lantana camara — Late seed set keeps plants blooming longer.
- MegaCopa™ bacopa Sutera cordata — Flowers two weeks longer than predecessors. (in photo)
- Spotlight™ sweet potato vine Ipomoea batatas — Resists heat-induced leaf fade and color loss.